RPS: A Mini History: Bits & Pieces
Much of the history of the Richmond Public Schools was recorded in the context of a segregated society, and the reader should readily discern between pre- and post-desegregation observations. The terms "black," "colored," "Negro," and "white" in this booklet should not be considered offensive as they have been used according to the custom of the particular period. Since 1962, the division has omitted such racial designations from its reports and publications.
Maury School (colored) 17th & Maury Streets
This school was annexed from Manchester in 1910, having been named for the adjacent street. Prior to that time, it served both elementary and high school grades in a building that dated from 1888 and fronted on 17th Street. In some records, the high school is referred to as "Manchester (colored)."
After annexation, Maury's high school pupils were transferred to Armstrong. The elementary grades were supervised by Assistant Superintendent E. E. Smith unti11915, at which time a principal was assigned and the name of the school was changed to Dunbar.
|Enrollment:||1909-1910||441 (grades 1-7) + 71 (high)|
|1910-1911||588 (grades 1-7)|