RPS: A Mini History: Bits & Pieces
Much of the history of the Richmond Public Schools was recorded in the context of a segregated society, and the reader should readily discern between pre- and post-desegregation observations. The terms "black," "colored," "Negro," and "white" in this booklet should not be considered offensive as they have been used according to the custom of the particular period. Since 1962, the division has omitted such racial designations from its reports and publications.
Summer Hill School 2717 Alexander Avenue (Courthouse Road & Alexander Avenue)
Summer Hill School, acquired from Chesterfield County by the annexation of 1942, was named for the community in which it is located.
The original 1919 building was a four-room school with a half-basement; in 1937, Chesterfield County built a brick addition with classrooms and auditorium. After annexation, a cafeteria and six primary grade classrooms were added (1951). In 1984, the general office area was renovated and a classroom addition was built.
Under Plan III, Summer Hill was paired with Chimborazo.
Ruffin Road School operates under the Summer Hill administration.
|Architect:||1951||Merrill C. Lee|
|Principals:||1942 Jan.-June||Ada F. Criddle|
|1942-1946||J. T. Walker|
|1946-1953||Oscar Willard Fary, Jr.|
|1953-1957||John Benedict Madden (Acting 1953-54)|
|1957-1966||Jack P. Thomas|
|1966-1977||Arthur Edward Ooghe, Jr.|
|1977-1980||John Roderick Clarke|
|1980-1991||Fred Thomas Stokes|
|1991||Audrey K. Hawkes|