RPS: A Mini History: Bits & Pieces

Much of the history of the Richmond Public Schools was recorded in the context of a segregated society, and the reader should readily discern between pre- and post-desegregation observations. The terms "black," "colored," "Negro," and "white" in this booklet should not be considered offensive as they have been used according to the custom of the particular period. Since 1962, the division has omitted such racial designations from its reports and publications.

West End School 2100 Idlewood Avenue (Idlewood Avenue between Roland Street & Shields Avenue)

This school was originally called John B. Cary; when it became a school for Negro pupils in September 1954, it was renamed for the section of the city known as the West End.

Mechanical improvements and building alterations were made in 1965.

Under Plan III, West End was paired with Fox. West End was discontinued as an elementary school in 1976, due primarily to the displacement of many homes by freeway construction.

The building housed the Adult Accelerated Learning Center (AALEC) from 1976-84 and Franklin Military School from 1984-86.

West End was declared surplus to the City, March 18, 1987. In September 1989, the School Board asked the City to "stay action" on disposal of the building as it might be needed for school purposes; it was subsequently released to the City on November 20, 1989.

Enrollment: 1954-1955 807 (chiefly from Randolph School)
  1975-1976 295 (final)
Cost: 1965 $97,800
Principals: 1954-1957 Charles Julius E. Burrell
  1957-1973 David Alfred Graves
  1973-1976 Marshall Lewis Waring
See:
John B. Cary School (old)